Place:


Alvescot  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvescot like this:

ALVESCOTT, a parish in Witney district, Oxford; near the Cheltenham and Faringdon railway, 3½ miles WNW of Bampton. Post Town, Bampton, under Faringdon. Acres, 2,690. Real property, £2,961. Pop., 407. Houses, 85. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £371. Patron, Rev. A. Neate. The church is cruciform, in early English, with plain Norman tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a free school, and charities £22.

Alvescot through time

Alvescot is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alvescot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alvescot in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9123

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alvescot ".