Place:


Harbury  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harbury like this:

HARBURY, or HARBERBURY, a parish in Southam district, Warwick; on the river Ichene, and on the Oxford and Birmingham railway, near the Fosse way, 2¾ miles WSW of Southam. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Leamington. Acres, 2, 060. Real property, £7, 150. ...


Pop., 1, 206. Houses, 272. The property is subdivided. A cutting, on the line of the railway here, is 100 feet deep and 600 feet wide. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £268. * Patron, John Hudson, Esq. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £86.

Harbury through time

Harbury is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harbury, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9114

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harbury ".