Place:


Hampton in Arden  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hampton in Arden like this:

HAMPTON-IN-ARDEN, a village in Meriden district, and a parish partly also in Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Blythe, contiguous to the Hampton Junction station of the Northwestern and Midland railways, 9¼ miles SE by E of Birmingham; occupies a rising ground; was once a market town; and has a post office under Birmingham, and fairs on 9 June, 21 July, 8 Sept, and 15 Oct. ...


Pop., 690. Houses, 150. The parish includes also the hamlets of Kinwalsey, Knowle, Balsall, and NuthurST. Acres, 11, 052. Real property, £22, 224. Pop., 3, 161. Houses, 735. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Right Hon. Frederick Peel. A tunnel of the Northwestern railway, 300 yards long, is near. The parish is a meet for the North Warwick hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Nuthurst, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £578. * Patron, W.Alston, Esq. The church is ancient; belonged to the canons of Kenilworth; has features of Saxon or of early Norman; and consists of a chancel and three aisles, with a low tower. The vicarage of Knowle is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, and a charity founded, in 1690, by George Fentham, and now yielding about £400 a year.

Hampton in Arden through time

Hampton in Arden is now part of Solihull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Solihull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hampton in Arden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hampton in Arden, in Solihull and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9107

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hampton in Arden ".