Place:


Wilmington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilmington like this:

WILMINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Eastbourne district, Sussex; 1 mile S of Berwick r. station, and 5½ NW of Eastbourne. It gives the title of Baron to the Marquis of Northampton; and it has a post-office under Hurst-Green. Acres, 1,744. Real property, £1,756. Pop., 250. Houses, 47. ...


The property is not much divided. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Grestein Abbey in Normandy, was founded here, in the time of William Rufus, by the Earl of Mortaigne; and was given by Henry V. to Chichester cathedral. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £111.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church has Norman portions, and is good.

Wilmington through time

Wilmington is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilmington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilmington, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9062

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilmington ".