Place:


Westmeston  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westmeston like this:

WESTMESTON, a parish, with East Chiltington hamlet, in Lewes district, Sussex; 3 miles ESE of Hassocks-Gate r. station, and 6½ NNE of Brighton. Post town, Hurstperpoint. Acres, 4,074. Real property, £3,990. Pop., 569. Houses, 112. The property is subdivided. Middleton House is the seat of H.Lane, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £536.* Patron, W. J. Campion, Esq. The church was recently restored. A chapel of ease is at Chiltington; and there are two national schools.

Westmeston through time

Westmeston is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westmeston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westmeston, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9059

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westmeston ".