Place:


Trotton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Trotton like this:

TROTTON, a parish, with a village, in Midhurst district, Sussex; 1 mile NE of Elsted r. station, and 3 W by N of Midhurst. Post town, Petersfield. Acres, 3,877. Real property, £3,451. Pop., 452. Houses, 92. The manor was long held by the family of Camois, and belongs now to R. H. Nevell, Esq. T. Place is the residence of A. E. Knox, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £420.* Patrons, T. Staunton and F. Inman, Esqs. The church was rebuilt in 1400. The p. curacy of Milland is a separate benefice. The poet Otway was a native.

Trotton through time

Trotton is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Trotton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Trotton, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9042

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Trotton ".