Place:


Tortington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tortington like this:

TORTINGTON, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; near Ford r. station, and 2 miles SSW of Arundel. Post town, Arundel. Acres, 1,131. Real property, £2,007; of which £20 are in gasworks. Pop., 112 Houses, 21. An Augustinian priory was founded here before the time of King John, by Lady Alicia Corbet; was given, at the dissolution, to Lord Maltravers; and is now represented by its refectory, used as a barn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £175. Patron, the Duke of Norfolk. The church is Norman.

Tortington through time

Tortington is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tortington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tortington, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9040

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tortington ".