Place:


Sutton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:

SUTTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chichester district, Sussex. The village stands 3 miles S of Petworth r. station, and has a post-office under Petworth.—The parish contains a workhouse, and comprises 2,061 acres. Real property, £1,785. Pop., 364. Houses, 67. The manor belonged, in the Saxon times, to the Crown; went, after the Norman conquest, to Earl Montgomery; and belongs now to Lord Leconfield. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £256.* Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is early, decorated, and later English. There is a parochial school.—The sub-district contains 11 parishes. Acres, 16,216. Pop., 2,763. Houses, 576.

Sutton through time

Sutton is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9031

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton ".