Place:


Stedham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stedham like this:

STEDHAM, a parish, with a village, in Midhurst district, Sussex; on the river Rother, 2 miles W by N of Midhurst r. station. It has a post-office under MidHurst. Acres, 2,249. Real property, £2,684. Pop., 530. Houses, 106. The manor belonged to Earl Godwin; passed to the Earl of Montgomery, the Earl of Southampton, and Lord Selsey; and belongs now to J. Stoveld, Bart. S. Hall is the seat of J. Stoveld, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with Heyshot, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £580.* Patron, the Hon. Mrs. Harcourt. The church was rebuilt in 1850.

Stedham through time

Stedham is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stedham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stedham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9021

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stedham ".