Place:


Singleton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Singleton like this:

SINGLETON, a parish and a sub-district in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The parish lies among the South downs, 5½ miles S by W of Midhurst r. station; includes Charlton hamlet; and has a post-office under Chichester. Acres, 5,010. Real property, £3,135. Pop., 556. Houses, 117. The manor belonged to Earl Godwin; passed to the Earls of Arundel; and belongs now to the Duke of Richmond. ...


Molecombe House is the residence of Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar; and Drove House, of the Hon. R. Denman. The parish was, in the 17th century, a resort of royalty and nobles for hunting; and contains now the race-stand of Goodwood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £115.* Patron, the Duke of Richmond. The church is later English, with a Norman tower; and was recently restored. There are a national school, and charities £70. --The sub-district contains seven parishes. Acres, 15,580. Pop., 1,846. Houses, 373.

Singleton through time

Singleton is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Singleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Singleton, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9014

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Singleton ".