Place:


Burton Dassett  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Dassett like this:

BURTON-DASSETT, a village and a parish in Southam district, and a division of Kington hundred, Warwick. The village stands 2½ miles W by S of Fenny-Compton r. station, and 4 E of Kington; and was once a markettown. The parish includes also the hamlets of Little Dassett, North End, and Knightcote; and its Post Town is Fenny-Compton, under Rugby. ...


Acres, 5,400. Real property, £7,461. Pop., 655. Houses, 153. The manor belonged anciently to the Southleys; and passed to the Belknaps, the Wottons, the Stanhopes, and the Temples. The surface is hilly, and continued long to be a haunt of wild beasts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £167.* Patrons, Lord Willoughby de Broke and R. W. Blencowe, Esq. Charities, £73.-The division contains ten parishes and part of another. Acres, 18,953. Pop., 3,815. Houses, 809.

Burton Dassett through time

Burton Dassett is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton Dassett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Dassett, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8967

Date accessed: 09th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton Dassett ".