Place:


Talgarth  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Talgarth like this:

TALGARTH, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Brecon. The village stands on the Hereford and Brecon railway, 8½ miles SW of Hay; had anciently a castle; is a borough by prescription; and . has a post-office‡ under Hereford, a r. station with telegraph, a good church, three dissenting chapels, an alms-house, charities £31, a weekly market, and eight annual fairs. ...


Real property, £2,965. Pop., 684. Houses, 172.—The parish contains also Trefecca, Pwllywrach, Forest, Grwyne.fawr, and Grwyne-fechan hamlets; and comprises 16,900 acres. Pop., 1,330. Houses, 297. Trefecca house is a chief object of interest. Porthaml belonged to the Vaughans, and Tredustan and Tregunter, to the Gunters. There are a cromlech, and other ancient British relics. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor.—The sub-district excludes the two Grwyne hamlets, but includes four other parishes, and a part; and is in Hay district. Acres, 28,155. Pop., 2,476. Houses, 539. The hundred contains 13 parishes, and a part. Acres, 71,621. Pop., 7,685. Houses, 1,643.

Talgarth through time

Talgarth is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Talgarth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Talgarth, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8941

Date accessed: 22nd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Talgarth ".