Place:


Ringmer  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ringmer like this:

RINGMER, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Sussex. The village stands 2¾ miles N E of Lewes r.station; is supposed to have got its name by corruption of Regnimere, with allusion to the ancient Regnum; was the place from which White of Selborne dated many ofhis letters; enjoys a supply of the purest water from a public pump on its green; and has a post-office under Lewes, and a police station. ...


The parish comprises 5, 826acres, and is in Lewes district. Real property, £8, 371. Pop. in 1851, 1, 374; in 1861, 1, 522. Houses, 286. The property is divided among a few. Broyle Place is anancient mansion, supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury; but only a portion of itremains. Horse artillery barracks formerly stood near the village; and part of them is now a kennel for the South Down hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £400.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is very ancient, and contains several brasses and numerous monuments. There are a neat Independent chapel, an endowed school with £10 a year, a workhouse school, and charities £21. The hundred contains also four other parishes, and is in the rape of Pevensey. Acres, 11, 221. Pop. 4,034. Houses, 747.

Ringmer through time

Ringmer is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ringmer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ringmer, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8905

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ringmer ".