Place:


Racton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Racton like this:

RACTON, a parish in Westbourne district, Sussex; 2¾ miles N N E of Emsworth r. station, and 6¼ W N W of Chichester. It includes the chapelry of Lordington; and itspost-town is Emsworth. Acres, 1, 180. Real property, £1, 306. Pop., 95. Houses, 18. The property is divided among three. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Lordington, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £183. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is early English, and contains a fine monument to a Gunter.

Racton through time

Racton is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Racton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Racton, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8904

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Racton ".