Place:


Pyecombe  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pyecombe like this:

PYECOMBE, or Piecombe, a village and a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex. The village stands adjacent to the Clayton tunnel of the London and Brighton railway, 2½ miles S by W of Hassocks-Gate r. station, and 5½ N by W of Brighton; is sheltered, on the N and the W, by the Downs; and has a post-office under Hurst-perpoint. ...


The parish comprises 2, 249 acres. Real property, £2,046; of which £234 are in quarries. Pop., 283. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to the Crown. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £345.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Pyecombe through time

Pyecombe is now part of Mid Sussex district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Sussex has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pyecombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pyecombe in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8903

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pyecombe ".