Place:


Malden  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Malden like this:

MALDEN, a village and a parish in Kingston district Surrey. The village stands on Hogs-Mill river, near the Leatherhead branch of the Southwestern railway, 3 miles SE of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a post office under Kingston, and a station, called Worcester Park Station, jointly with Coombe, on the railway. ...


The parish comprises 1,272 acres. Real property, £1,986. Pop., 320. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. A college, afterwards removed to Oxford as Merton college, was founded here in 1264, by Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Chessington, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £417.* Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church was partly rebuilt in 1610; retains portions of earlier dates; comprises nave and chancel, with W tower; and a N aisle, added in 1866.

Malden through time

Malden is now part of Kingston upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kingston upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Malden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Malden, in Kingston upon Thames and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/889

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Malden ".