Place:


Patcham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Patcham like this:

PATCHAM, a village and a parish in Steyning district, Sussex. The village stands on the verge of the South Downs, near a long tunnel of the London and Brighton railway, 3 miles N of Brighton; and has a post-office under Brighton. The parish contains also the hamlets of Monscomb and Withdean, and the pleasuregardens of Tivoli. ...


Acres, 4, 398. Real property, £5, 921. Pop. in 1851, 490; in 1861, 638. Houses, 120. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Abergavenny. Patcham Place is the seat of Col. John Paine; and Withdean Hall, ofLacy, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Brighton hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value £153. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church standsconspicuously on a rising ground; and is early English and later, with an embattled tower. There is a national school.

Patcham through time

Patcham is now part of Brighton and Hove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brighton and Hove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Patcham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Patcham, in Brighton and Hove and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8887

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Patcham ".