In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ore like this:
ORE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hastings district, Sussex. The village stands 1½ mile N N W of Hastings r. station, and has a post-office under Hastings. The parish comprises 2, 149 acres. Real property, £5, 926. Pop. in 1851, 1, 745; in 1861, 1, 636. Houses, 323. ...
The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal oflabourers employed on railway works. The property is subdivided. Ore Place is a modern mansion, the seat of T. Spalding, Esq.; and stands near the site of an oldmansion said to have belonged to John of Gaunt. Coghurst Hall is the property of W. Brisco, Esq.and stands in a fine park. There are several othergood residences; and the scenery within the parish and around it is very beautiful. The Hastings work-house is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 122inmates. The Hastings cemetery also is here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £580. Patrons, Trustees. The old parochial church is a plain edifice of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch, vestry, and low tower: and the new one, a little to the N W, was founded in 1869. Christ church was built in 1859, as a chapel of ease for the part of the parish adjoining Fairlight; is in the decorated English style; consists of nave, N aisle, transept, and chancel, with bell-turret:and cost about £4,000. A Wesleyan chapel was built, in 1867, on the Vine Farm property; is in the pointedstyle; and contains about 200 sittings. There is a national school.The sub-district contains also threeother parishes. Acres, 11, 372. Pop. in 1851, 3, 594:in 1861, 3, 188. Houses, 653.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ore, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ore ".