Place:


Byker  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Byker like this:

BYKER, a township, two chapelries, and a subdistrict in Newcastle-upon-Tyne district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Tyne, near the line of the Roman wall, 1¼ mile E of Newcastle-upon-Tyne; and it has a post office, of the name of Byker Hill, under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 687; of which 58 are water. ...


Pop., 7,663. Houses, 1,046. The inhabitants are employed variously in potteries, glass-works, quarries, collieries, and other manufactories and works. The chapelries are B., constituted in 1844, and B.-St. Anthony, constituted in 1868; and are in the parish of All Saints. Pop., 10,388. Houses, 1,359. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300 and £170. Patron of B., alternately the Crown and the Bishop; of B.-St. A., Lady James. B. church was built in 1862, at a cost of £2,500; and is in the decorated English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.-The subdistrict contains three townships and two parishes. Pop., 12,994. Houses, 1,817.

Byker through time

Byker is now part of Newcastle upon Tyne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle upon Tyne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Byker itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Byker, in Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8868

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Byker ".