Place:


Haverfordwest  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Haverfordwest like this:

Haverfordwest, parl. and mun. bor., river port, co. town of Pembrokeshire, and co. of itself, on river West Cleddaw, 10 miles NE. of Milford by rail and 275 NW. of London, 1430 ac., pop. 6398; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The Welsh name of the town is Hwlffordd. It was formerly walled and fortified, and has ruins of a priory erected or endowed in the 12th century. ...


The Flemings settled here in 1105. Paper-making is the principal industry. Coal and agricultural produce are exported. The Haverford-west Boroughs (Haverfordwest, Fishguard, and Narberth), since 1885, form part of the Pembroke Boroughs, which return 1 member to Parliament.

Haverfordwest through time

Haverfordwest is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haverfordwest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/884

Date accessed: 22nd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haverfordwest ".