Place:


Pwllheli  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Pwllheli like this:

Pwllheli, par. and mun. bor., seaport, and market town with ry. sta., Carnarvonshire, in S. of co., on N. side of Cardigan Bay, 21 miles SW. of Carnarvon and 251 NW. of London, 1017 ac., pop. 3242; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Pwllheli consists of the whole of Denio par., with parts of the pars. ...


of Abererch and Llannor. It is an ancient town, and received its charter of incorporation from the Black Prince, the charter being confirmed in 1422 by Henry VI. From its attractive situation and the magnificence of its surrounding scenery, as well as the splendid views of the full extent of Snowdon to be obtained here, Pwllheli offers great and varied attractions as a place of tourist resort. It has risen into repute as a watering-place. The port is a sub-port to Beaumaris; the harbour has accommodation for vessels of 60 tons, and a good coasting trade is carried on, besides considerable inland trade. Lobster and oyster fisheries are briskly prosecuted. There are, besides the markets, several important cattle fairs. Pwllheli forms one of the Carnarvon District of Parliamentary Boroughs, which returns 1 member.

Pwllheli through time

Pwllheli is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pwllheli itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pwllheli, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/882

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pwllheli ".