In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Clears like this:
CLEARS (St.), or St. Clare, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district in the district and county of Carmarthen. The town stands on the river Taf and on the South Wales railway, 8¼ miles WSW of Carmarthen; and has a station on the railway and a bead post office.‡ It carries on a small coasting trade; and has a weekly market, and fairs on 5 and 6 June, Old May-day, and 10 Oct. ...
It was the head-quarters of the Rebecca rioters in 1843. A Norman castle and a priory stood at it; and the site of the castle is now indicated by a tumulus. The parish comprises 2, 534 acres. Real property, £3, 748. Pop., 1, 129. Houses, 267. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £150. Patron,G. Philipps, Esq. The church is good; and there are charities £18.The sub-district contains 10 parishes. Acres, 42, 238. Pop., 6, 862. Houses, 1, 524.
St Clears is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Clears itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Clears in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Clears ".