Place:


St Brides Major  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Brides Major like this:

BRIDES-MAJOR (St.), a hamlet and a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan. The hamlet stands between Ogmore river and the Bristol channel, 3 ½ miles S by W of Bridgend r. station; and has a post office under Bridgend. Real property, £1,523. Pop., 351. Houses, 74. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lampha and Southern down Acres, 6,402; of which 600 are water. ...


Real property, £5,135. Pop., 826. Houses, 168. The property is divided among a few. The Windhole cavern and other caves are on the coast. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Wick, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £176.* Patron, R. Turberville, Esq. The church is ancient and good; and contains monuments of the Butlers and the Winhams. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. See Dunraven Castle.

St Brides Major through time

St Brides Major is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Brides Major itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Brides Major in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8770

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Brides Major ".