Place:


St Athan  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Athan like this:

ATHAN (St.), a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the coast, 5 miles S by E of Cowbridge, and 8 SW of St. Fagans r. station. It has a post office under Cowbridge. Acres, 1,771; of which 285 are water. Real property, £2,574. Pop., 357. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. ...


Breaksea Point is on the coast, and commands a fine view. Remains of Roger Berkrols' castle, built in 1691, are at East Orchard; and remains of two other castles, of later date, are at West Orchard and Castleton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £369.* Patron,-W.Rayer, Esq. The church is good, and contains two interesting Gothic monuments of the Berkrols family. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

St Athan through time

St Athan is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Athan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Athan in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8766

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Athan ".