Place:


Branxton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Branxton like this:

BRANXTON, a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland; on the skirts of the Teviots and the river Till, 3 miles ESE of Cornhill r. station, and 9 NW by N of Wooler. Post Town, Etal, under Coldstream. Acres, 1,487. Real property, £2,392. Pop., 255. Houses, 44. The property is divided between two. Here is the field of the battle of Flodden, fatal to James IV. of Scotland, fought in 1513. See Flodden. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £234.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good. Stockdale, the poet, was a native.

Branxton through time

Branxton is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Branxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Branxton, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8759

Date accessed: 23rd September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Branxton ".