Place:


Blenkinsopp  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blenkinsopp like this:

BLENKINSOP, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland; on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, and on the Roman wall, 3 miles W of Haltwhistle. Acres, 4,919. Pop., 444. Houses, 90. Haltwhistle Castle is the ruin of a strong square tower, the ancient seat of the Blenkinsops, noted for their Border feuds; and Blenkinsop Hall is the seat of J. Coulson, Esq., the descendant of the Blenkinsops. A Roman altar was found in 1720, and an inscription to Ceres in 1816. Coal is worked.

Blenkinsopp through time

Blenkinsopp is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blenkinsopp itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blenkinsopp, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8745

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blenkinsopp ".