Place:


Keymer  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Keymer like this:

KEYMER., or KYMERE, a village and a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex. The village stands 1 mile E of Hassocks Gate r. station, and 10 N by E of Brighton. The parish includes also Burgess Hill and St. John's Common, both of which have post offices under Hurstperpoint; and it has a station at the junction of the London and Brighton railway with the branch to Lewes, and contains also the r. ...


stations of Burgess Hill and Hassocks Gate. Acres, 3, 538. Real property, £6, 866. Pop. in 1851, 1, 006; in 1861, 1, 612. Houses, 291. The increase of pop. arose from the formation of the r. stations, and from the erection near them of villas and cottages. The property is much subdivided. The manufacture of brown ware pottery, bricks, and tiles, is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Clayton, in the diocese of Chichester. The church stands at the SE part of the parish; has been entirely rebuilt with the exception of the chancel, and greatly beautified; and has a circular chancel arch, which is probably true Saxon; and is now adorned with mural paintings and diaper. The p. curacy of St. John's Common is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £9.

Keymer through time

Keymer is now part of Mid Sussex district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Sussex has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Keymer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Keymer in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8734

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Keymer ".