Place:


Jevington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Jevington like this:

JEVINGTON, a parish in Eastbourne district, Sussex; among the South Down hills, 3 miles NW of Eastbourne, and 3 SW by S of Polegate r. station. Post town, Eastbourne. Acres, 2, 099. Real property, £1, 852. Pop., 263. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. ...


Value, £400.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is ancient but good; has some features which are debatably Saxon or Norman; and includes, in the belfrywall, a fragment of an ancient sculpture representing the Saviour bruising the serpent's head. Charities £3, and alms-houses for 4 persons.

Jevington through time

Jevington is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Jevington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Jevington, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8726

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Jevington ".