Place:


Beanley  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beanley like this:

BEANLEY, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland; on the river Breamish, 7 miles NW of Alnwick. Acres, 2,341. Pop., 116. Houses, 23. The earls of Dunbar anciently held it on the tenure of maintaining a road into Scotland. A cross stands on Hedgeley-moor, at a short distance from the village, erected to the memory of Sir Ralph Percy, who fell in 1464 in a battle with the Yorkists.

Beanley through time

Beanley is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beanley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beanley, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8717

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beanley ".