Place:


Rhosili  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rhosili like this:

RHOSCILLY, a parish in Swansea district, Glamorgan; on the Gower coast, near Worms Head, 12 miles S W by W of Loughor r. station, and 17¼ W S W of Swansea. Post-town, Reynoldston, under Swansea. Acres, 2, 470; of which 410 are water. Real property, £581. Pop., 294. Houses, 64. The property is all in one estate. ...


The manor was given, by Fitz-Hamon, to Reginald de Sulwy. R. downs form part of the surface. R.bay is a slender indentation of the coast, extending from Worms Head to Burry Holmes; presents great dangers to navigators; and has been the scene of some notable shipwrecks. A cave, called the Barometer, is washed by the sea; and, in stormy weather, emits a reverberating sound, audible at the distance of 7 miles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £135. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good.

Rhosili through time

Rhosili is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rhosili itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhosili, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8708

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhosili ".