Place:


Colne  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colne like this:

COLNE, a town, a township, three chapelries, and a sub-district in Whalley parish, Burnley district, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Henburn, and on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2¼ miles SW of the boundary with Yorkshire, and 5½ NE of Burnley. ...


It is thought by some to have been the Colunio of the Romans; but it has yielded no other evidence of Roman occupation than some Roman coins. It occupies a rising-ground; presents chiefly a modern and manufacturing aspect; and has a head post office, ‡ a r. station with telegraph, a banking-office, two chief inns, three churches, five dissenting chapels, a cemetery of 1860, a mechanics' institute, and two endowed schools. The chief of the churches, St. Bartholomew's, is perpendicular English, with some Norman traces; has two chantry chapels, a fine screen, and an old font; and was restored and enlarged in 1857. The two endowed schools have £15 or £48 from endowment; and one of them had as a pupil Archbishop Tillotson. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; and fairs on 7 March, 13 May, 11 Oct., and 21 Dec. Manufactures of woollen and worsted were formerly extensive; but manufactures of cotton are now the chief. Pop., 6, 315. Houses, 1, 357. -The township Comprises 4, 575 acres. Real property, £20, 817; of which £800 are in gas-works, and £120 in quarries. Pop., 7, 906. Houses, 1, 701. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Lacys; and Barnside was an old seat of the Townleys. The surface is hilly; the rocks include coal, limestone and slate; and a double-ditched camp, 360 feet by 330, is at Castor Cliff. -The three chapelries are St. Bartholomew, Christ Church, and Barrowford; and the first is a rectory, the others p. curacies, in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. Bartholomew, £300;* of Christ-Church, £150;* of Barrowford, £150. Patrons of all, Hulme's Trustees. -The sub-district contains six townships. Acres, 15, 435. Pop., 21, 203. Houses, 4, 369.

Colne through time

Colne is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colne, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/870

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colne ".