Place:


Rhoscolyn  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rhoscolyn like this:

RHOSCOLYN, a parish in the district and county of Anglesey; comprising the S E part of Holyhead Island, 3 miles S S W of Valley r. station, and 4½ S S E of Holyhead. Post-town, Holyhead. Acres, 2, 560; of which 385 are water. Real property, £1, 813. Pop., 462. Houses, 102. The property is subdivided. ...


Bodior is a chief residence. Marble, verd-antique, and asbestos are found. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Llanfair-yn-Enbwll and Llanfihangel-yn-Howyn, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £260.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is later English and good. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £8.

Rhoscolyn through time

Rhoscolyn is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rhoscolyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhoscolyn in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8692

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhoscolyn ".