Place:


Alnham  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alnham like this:

ALNHAM, a township and a parish in Rothbury district, Northumberland. The township lies near the source of Alne river, under the southern offsets of the Cheviots, 13 miles W of Alnwick r. station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres, 9,535. Pop., 119. Houses, 22. The parish includes also the townships of Prendwick, Unthank, and Screnwood. ...


Acres, 12,389. Real property, £4,326. Pop., 295. Houses. 47. The property is divided among a few. Much of the surface is moor and mountain. A semicircular ancient camp 300 feet in diameter, with encircling double rampart and deep trench, occurs on a hill about a mile W of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £200.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is cruciform and old. The parsonage was built in the time of Edward III., and restored in 1844, and includes a peel tower.

Alnham through time

Alnham is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alnham, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8678

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alnham ".