Place:


Chesterton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chesterton like this:

CHESTERTON, a parish in Southam district, Warwick; on the Fosse way, and on an affluent of the river Avon, 1¾ mile SW of Harbury r. station, and 4½ SW by S of Southam. It includes Kingston hamlet; and its post town is Harbury, under Rugby. Acres, 3, 510. Real property, £4, 189. ...


Pop., 217. Houses, 42. The manor belonged, from the time of Edward II. till that of Henry VIII., to the family of Peyto; and belongs now to Lord Willoughby de Broke. The manor-house was built in the time of Edward IV.; enlarged, in 1630, after designs by Inigo Jones; and demolished in 1802. A large windmill, of circular form, on six arches, designed by Inigo Jones, surmounts an eminence near the church. A Roman camp, supposed by some to have been the Roman station Mediolanum, is within the parish on the Fosse way; and has yielded Roman coins. Chesterton wood is a meet for the Warwick hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £82. Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is ancient; and contains three fine monuments of the Peyto family. Lord Cobham, the famous Wickliffite, found shelter with the incumbent in Henry V. 's time; and Cardinal Peyto, the Pope's legate in the reign of Mary, was a native.

Chesterton through time

Chesterton is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chesterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chesterton, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8676

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chesterton ".