Place:


Cherington  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cherington like this:

CHERINGTON, a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick; on the river Stour, 3½ miles SE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 6 E by N of Moreton r. station. It has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 890. Real property, £1, 965. Pop., 311. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Ralph de Wylington; and passed, in the time of Edward III., to the Lucys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £259.* Patron, D. Turner, Esq. The church is very good; and has a tower.

Cherington through time

Cherington is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cherington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cherington, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8675

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cherington ".