Place:


Hooe  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hooe like this:

HOOE, a village and a parish in Hailsham district, Sussex. The village stands near the river Ashburn, 3½ miles WNW of Bexhill r. station, and 6 SW of Battle; and has a post office under Battle, and a fair on 1 May.—The parish comprises 2, 448 acres. Real property, £3, 536. Pop., 496. ...


Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Henry, Earl of Ewe; was given by him, about the beginning of the 12th century to the Abbey of Beck in Normandy; became the site of Benedictine priory, a cell to that abbey; and passed to the colleges of Eton and Ashford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £319.* Patron, Alfred Jones, Esq. The church is ancient; comprises nave, chancel, and N chapel or vestry, with a low massive embattled tower; and is in excellent repair.

Hooe through time

Hooe is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hooe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hooe, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8650

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hooe ".