Place:


Hollington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hollington like this:

HOLLINGTON, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; near the Hastings and Tunbridge railway, 2 miles N by E of St. Leonards r. station, and 2½ NNW of Hastings. Post town, Hastings. Acres, 2, 470. Real property, £4, 083. Pop. in 1861, 531. Houses, 93. Pop. in 1866, about 900. The property is much subdivided. ...


Beauport Park is the seat of Sir Archibald Lamb, Bart.; and contains a remarkably fine collection of conifera. Beech Farm belongs to James R. Lewis, Esq.; and has a remarkably large beech tree, which serves as a landmark to mariners. Numerous fine houses have recently been erected; among which are Beauchamp, Woodend, Fernside, Nutholme, High Beech, and the Vicarage. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £250.* Patron,J. Eversfield, Esq. The parochial church is ancient; stands in a wood of 200 acres; has been restored by Miss Dampier, in memory of her mother; and a memorial window to Sir Charles M. Lamb, Bart., was erected in it in 1862. St. John's church, in the lower part of the parish, was built in 1866 as a chapel of ease, at a cost of about £3, 500; and is a handsome edifice in the early English style. There is a parochial school. The parish of St. Leonard-on-the-Sea is supposed to have once been included in Hollington parish; being designated, in old documents, St. Leonards-inHollington.

Hollington through time

Hollington is now part of Hastings district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hastings has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hollington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hollington, in Hastings and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8644

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hollington ".