Place:


Rhiwabon  Denbighshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rhiwabon like this:

RUABON, or Rhiwabon, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wrexham district, Denbigh. The town stands on an affluent of the river Dee, and on the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, adjacent to Offa's dyke and Wat's dyke, 4½ miles S S W of Wrexham; derives interest from the vicinity of the splendid mansion of Wynnstay, the seat of W. ...


W. Wynn, Bart., and of other handsome seats; conducts much business in connexion withneighbouring iron-works and collieries; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a head post-office, ‡ a railway station with telegraph, a hotel, a church, five dissenting chapels, a grammar school and alms-houses with £200 a year from endowment, another school with £23, other alms-houseswith £50, and other charities £193. The church standsclose to the park-gates of Wynnstay; and contains a curious monument of a son of Sir John Wynn of Gwydir, amarble effigies by Rysbrach of Sir W. Wynn, a statue by Nollekens of Lady Wynn, daughter of the Duke of Buckingham, an altar-tomb of the Eyton family of date 1526, and a monument of Powel who died in 1590, who was anative and vicar, and who wrote " Annotations on Giraldus, " and published " Caradoc's History of Wales." Fairs are held on the last Friday of Feb., 22 May, and 20 Nov. The parish includes the townships of Ruabon, Bellan, Bodulltin, Christionydd-Coed, Christionydd-Kenrick, Dynhille-Issa, Dynhille-Ucha, Hafod, Morton-Anglicorum, Morton-Above, Morton-Below, and Ryd-dalt. Acres, 14, 364. Real property, £70, 440; of which £23,012 are in mines, £109 in quarries, £21, 360 in iron-works, and £300 in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 11, 507; in 1861, 14, 343. Houses, 3, 151. The increase of pop.arose from the extension of coal mining. The property is subdivided. Pen-y-Gardden is the seat of Lady Marshall. Plas-Madoc is supposed to have been once a residence of the Princes of Wales, and is now the seat ofH. Whalley, Esq. Plas-Hinas was the seat of Mrs. Rowland. A camp, called Gardden, is on an eminenceabout ¾ of a mile from the town; is defended, in many parts of its circuit, by concentric dykes; and, in its area, shows traces of ancient dwellings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £588.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The p. curacies of Rhos-y-Medre and Rhos-Llannerchrugog are separate benefices.—The sub-district contains also Erbistock parish, and comprises 15, 966 acres. Pop., 14, 680. Houses, 3, 225.

Rhiwabon through time

Rhiwabon is now part of Wrexham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wrexham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rhiwabon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhiwabon, in Wrexham and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8643

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhiwabon ".