Place:


Yoxall  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yoxall like this:

YOXHALL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lichfield district, Stafford. The village stands 4½ miles WNW of Wichnor-Junction r. station, and 8 SW by W of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office‡ under Bur-ton upon-Trent, and fairs on 12 Feb. and 19 Oct. The parish includes eight hamlets, and comprises 4,813 acres. ...


Real property, £8,053. Pop., 1,443. Houses, 325. The property is much subdivided. Y. Lodge, Hoarcross Hall, and Longcroft Hall are chief residences. Nails are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £508.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was lately restored. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £14 a year, a charity for six clergymen's widows £47, and other charities £116.—The sub-district contains six parishes and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 20,417. Pop., 4,765. Houses, 1,089.

Yoxall through time

Yoxall is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yoxall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yoxall in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8640

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yoxall ".