Place:


Wombourn  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wombourn like this:

WOMBOURN, a liberty, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wolverhampton district, Stafford. The liberty lies on the Stafford and Worcester railway, 4¼ miles WSW of Deepfield r. station, and 4½ SW by S of Wolverhampton; and has a post-office‡ under Wolverhampton. The parish includes Orton and Swindon liberties, and comprises 4,680 acres. ...


Real property, £10,137; of which £300 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 2,007; in 1861, 2,236. Houses, 452. The living is a vicarage, united with Trysull, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £608.* Patrons, Trustees. The vicarage of Swindon is a separate benefice. There are three dissenting chapels, and charities £5.—The sub-district contains 4 parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 12,961. Pop., 4,991. Houses, 1,010.

Wombourn through time

Wombourn is now part of South Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wombourn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wombourn in South Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8630

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wombourn ".