Place:


Upholland  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upholland like this:

UPHOLLAND, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile NNW of Orrell r. station and 4 W of Wigan; and has a post-office under Wigan, and a cattle and horse fair on Easter Monday. The township contains also three hamlets, and comprises 4,452 acres. ...


Real property, £16,912; of which £5,500 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,359; in 1861, 3,463. Houses, 685. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Skelmersdale. Holland Grove is the seat of G. Bolderstone, Esq. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in 1319, by Sir R. de Holland; and has left some remains. Stone and slate are quarried, and fire bricks are made.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Pop., 6,091. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron. the Rector of Wigan. The church was the chapel of the priory. A school at Pimbo-Lane is used as a chapel of ease. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school, two national schools, and charities £110.—The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 9,220. Pop., 6,982. Houses, 1,360.

Upholland through time

Upholland is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upholland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upholland in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/863

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upholland ".