Place:


Pyle  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pyle like this:

PYLE, a village and a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan. The village stands adjacent to the South Wales railway, near its intersection by the Llynvi Valley railway, 5¾ miles W N W of Bridgend; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Bridgend. The parish, together with Kenfigg and Skerr, comprises 4, 526acres of land and 725 of water. ...


Real property of P. alone, £3, 949; of which £1, 619 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 991; in 1861, 1, 192. Houses, 231. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of collieries and of coke and ironworks. The property is nearly all in one estate. An excellent building-stone is quarried. The living is a conjoint vicarage with Kenfigg in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £110. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good. Charities, £9.

Pyle through time

Pyle is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pyle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pyle, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8606

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pyle ".