Place:


Priestholm  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Priestholm like this:

PUFFIN ISLAND, or Priestholme, an extra-parochial island in the N E of Anglesey; at the W side of themonth of the Menai strait, 4½ miles N E of Beaumaris. It is about a mile long; is known to the Welsh as Ynys Seiriol; belonged to the monks of Penmon; and has a tower 40 feet high, built by the monks, and a quondamtelegraph, 160 feet high, in the line of communicationfrom Holyhead to Liverpool.

Priestholm through time

Priestholm is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Priestholm itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Priestholm in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8598

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Priestholm ".