Place:


Hinderwell  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinderwell like this:

HINDERWELL, a village, a township, and a parish in Whitby district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the coast, 7½ miles NNW of Grosmont r. station, and 8½ NW by N of Whitby; and has a post office under Redcar.-The township comprises 1, 550 acres of land and 440 of water. Real property, £4, 628; of which £1, 505 are in ironworks. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 736; in 1861, 2, 571. Houses, 547. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of extensive iron mines.—The parish contains also the township of Roxby, and comprises 4, 400 acres. Real property, £6, 383. Pop., 2, 805. Houses, 588. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Normanby. Most of the inhabitants are engaged in fisheries. A Turkish vessel, infected with the plague, was stranded on the coast in 1603, and communicated the plague to the villagers. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Roxby, in the diocese of York. Value, £494.* Patron, Robert Barry, Esq. The parish church was partly rebuilt in 1817. A spring of pure water, called St. Hilda's well, is in the churchyard; and a retreat of St. Hilda is supposed to have been near. There is a church in Roxby. Charities, £5.

Hinderwell through time

Hinderwell is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinderwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinderwell, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/857

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinderwell ".