Place:


Tatenhill  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tatenhill like this:

TATENHILL, a township and a parish in Burton-upon-Trent district, Stafford. The township lies 3 miles SW of Burton r. station, and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £4,739. Pop., 519. house s, 102. The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 9,408 acres. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2,329; in 1 861, 2,500. Houses, 542. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Ferrerses; and passed to John of Gaunt, the Somervilles, the Griffyths, and others. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, and is annexed to the deanery. Value, not reported.* The church is old but good. The p. curacies of Barton-under-Needwood, Dunstall, and Wichnor are separate benefices. Charities, £103.

Tatenhill through time

Tatenhill is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tatenhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tatenhill in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8563

Date accessed: 19th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tatenhill ".