In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hardham like this:
HARDHAM, a parish in Thakeham district, Sussex; on Stane street, the river Arun, and the Crawley and Arundel railway, 1 mile SSW of Pulborough. Post town, Pulborough, under Petworth. Acres, 680. Real property, £1, 359. Pop., 87. Houses, 14. The property is all in one estate. A priory of Black canons was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Sir William Dawtry; and some arches and mouldings of it, in transition Norman, still exist. A Roman entrenchment, about 400 feet square, on Stane street, is opposite the priory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £66. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is early English, and bad. A yew, 23 feet in girth, is in the churchyard.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hardham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Horsham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hardham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hardham, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hardham".