Place:


Swynnerton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swynnerton like this:

SWINNERTON, a village and a parish in Stone district, Stafford. The village stands 2 miles E by N of Standon-Bridge r. station, and 3 NW by W of Stone; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Stone. The parish includes five townships and a part. Acres, 6,529. Real property, £8,844. Pop., 880. Houses, 193. The manor belonged anciently to the Swinnertons; and went, in the time of Henry VIII., to the Fitzherberts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,088. Patron, W. Taylor, Esq. The church was repaired in 1868. Charities, £9.

Swynnerton through time

Swynnerton is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swynnerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swynnerton, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8551

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swynnerton ".