Place:


Atherstone on Stour  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Atherstone on Stour like this:

ATHERSTONE-ON-STOUR, a parish in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick; on the Moreton and Stratford railway and the river Stour, 3 miles S by E of Stratford-on-Avon. It contains the village of Ailstow; and its Post Town is Stratford-on-Avon. Acres, 1,060. Rated property, £1,412. Pop., 90. ...


Houses, 21. The property is undivided. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to John de Langley; and passed to successively the Mortons, the Hawkses, and the Lidkotes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £288.* Patrons, Representatives of late Rev. Dr. Cox. The church is good. Dr. Thomas, the continuator of Dugdale's "Antiquities," was a native.

Atherstone on Stour through time

Atherstone on Stour is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Atherstone on Stour itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Atherstone on Stour, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8539

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Atherstone on Stour ".