In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Standon like this:
STANDON, a parish, with a village, in Stone district, Stafford; on the Northwestern railway, 4 miles NNW of Eccleshall. It has a r. station, called Standon-Bridge, and a post-office under Eccleshall. Acres, 2,570. Real property, £4,481. Pop., 347. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £590.* Patron, the Rev. J. Salt. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1846. Charities, £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Standon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Standon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Standon, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Standon".