Place:


Oxenhope  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxenhope like this:

OXENHOPE, two hamlets and a chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlets are called Far O. and Near O.; lie about 2 miles S of Haworth r.station, and 5 S of Keighley; and have a post-office, of.the name of Oxenhope, under Keighley. The chapelryextends westward to the boundary with Lancashire, and was constituted in 1845. ...


Rated property, £5, 356. Pop.in 1851, 2, 997; in 1861, 2, 880. Houses, 594. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Capt. Edwards. Mould Grange is the residence of J. Rushworth, Esq.; and Hey House, of Mr. J. O. Ackroyd. Worsted manufacture is carried on. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1849, at a cost of about £1, 300; and is in the early Norman style, with a tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans and a free grammar-school.

Oxenhope through time

Oxenhope is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxenhope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxenhope, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/852

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxenhope ".